Thursday 10 January 2013

Book Review: The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling



The Casual Vacancy
Published By: Little, Brown a& Co.
Rating: 3.5

A BIG NOVEL ABOUT A SMALL TOWN ...

When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?


Social commentary; the act of using  rhetorical means to provide commentary on issues in a society.

I'm going to put it out there that like most others, if not everyone, I read this because it was written by Rowling. For me if I like a book or series an auhtor has written, chances are I am going to pick up their other published work, so despite not being a fan of delving into the genre of social commentary I gave it a go. Therefore, I went in having no disallusions; this was not going to be Harry Potter, I was going to take a while to read it, and I probably wasn't going to like it all that much. Much to my surprise I only got one out of three right - this was no Harry Potter.

This book takes a snapshot of the lives of various people living in a small English town called Pagford. Not everyone is easily placed as good or bad, and life isn't all rainbows and butterflies. This is where I most enjoyed the story and where a lot of people will hate it. It is about "real" people, in a "real" situation, teenagers swear and have sex, people take drugs, relationships falter, people are abused and raped, bullying occurs, there are clear societal divides, death, and politics get nasty. Welcome to the real world people minus witches, wizards, and the good guys coming out on top.

The writing is in the same simplistic style of Harry Potter. It is a style that works for this book making it fairly easy to read, and I feel it would translate well into other genres of adult novel. The only issue I had was at times it felt a bit choppy and didn't flow as well as what it could have.  I also found that it took me the first 100 or so pages to be able to place who was who and where they fit into the story. This made it difficult to really enjoy the story to begin with but is a hazard when alternating chapter perspectives from a wide variety of charcaters. In the end it was worth it as viewing characetrs through different eyes really added depth, and seeing how everything fitted in and came together was a pleasure to read. The characters were well-written ensuring that I loved them, hated them and everything in between.I was to be made to laugh, cry and feel for them, and that is one of Rowling's strong points. She has the ability to write people with depth, no one is perfect, and that is what really comes out in this book.

Not everyone will like this book as it caters to a select readership and can be quite full-on at points. I do not recommend it for younger readers, however, some mature young adult readers may be able to handle it. If you're going in expecting Harry Potter don't even bother because you will be sorely disapponted. But, if this is you're genre or are intrigued to see what else one of the best known authors of our time has to offer, there is a good chance you will enjoy or appreciate this novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment