Friday 2 November 2012

Book Review: Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

Finale (Hush, Hush, #4)
Hush, Hush #4
Pubished by: Simon & Schuster
Rating: 3/5

Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for
.

Warning there are some spoilers in this review.

Surprise. Surprise. Fitzpatrick did the unexpected and actually created a half decent book. Going into Finale I had low expectations, after all the last two books in this series were nothing short of horrible, but I gave it a shot hoping it would get better and I was rewarded. That's not to say that I didn't have a few gripes with this book but there were considerably fewer than expected.

The plot wasn't too bad, there was enough going on that it kept my attention but it was also kinda predictable and not in a good superman-will-always-save-the-day kinda way. I really wanted to be surprised in parts but I ended up feeling kinda meh about it all. But overall, the plot was way better than the previous three. I even liked the way she handled the whole Nora and devilcraft situation. I felt she hit the major issues that she needed to and sent the right message. Although, I still have gripes about the lack of information about devilcraft and it's use.

There were some issues I had. At the end how was the gate opened? Surley it can't be that easy to open the gate to hell and release the fallen angels. Yet, that's how it comes across. No explanation, nothing. It's almost as if all Dante had to do was knock on the door and ask the devil politely to open it. This glancing over plot points is something that Fitzpatrick needs to keep an eye on. She also needs to keep her facts in check as there was one line, "...jam-packed with bodies producing enough sweat to take greenhouse gases to a whole new level." Now correct me if I read this wrong but this sentence to me reads that sweat produces greenhouse gases....ummmmm ok, that's a new one. Please do your homework next time, it saves me wanting to throw your book against a wall.

Fitzpatrick seemed to be on a role in this book as the characters didn't bug me as much. Nora has grown a bigger backbone and is actually bearable. She's come into her own as leader of the Nephilim, even though at times she does put her problems in front of everyone else. Overall, her growth since the last book was great, I don't think I could've dealt with Silence Nora for another book. Even Patch got better!  Really he was much less of a dick in this book than the others. It was frustrating though because one minute he was all normal and then I would be swearing because he said or did something assholey again. His jealousy is way too OTT sometimes but the emphasis on it being unhealthy isn't given the prominance that it should have.

I was so glad to see Scott back in this book and not just as a tool for information dumping. He would definitely have to be one of my fave characters in this series so while I was glad how much featured in this book, I was sad about how it all ended. Vee also got better in this book, she was far less b*&%@# and disresepctful. I did however have to wonder what the point of her was for most of it. The whole big reveal of her secret proved to be unnecessary as in the end it played no part in effecting the overall plot. It just seemed that Fitzpatrick thought it would be cool and give another gasp factor but I just felt that is wasn't needed. And finally Dante. He was really rather transparent and I had him pegged as his role since early on in the book. Again Fitzpatrick's writing left me having trouble picturing him.

Overall, the book wasn't too bad and it gave a satisfying ending to the series. For those of you who loved the first three books this one will not disappoint.

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment